Somalia fighting kills at least five, journalist shot dead

By REUTERS
May 24, 2012 21:53

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

MOGADISHU - At least five people were killed when a shell hit the minibus they were using to flee fighting in a town north west of the capital, as African Union and government soldiers intensify their fight against al Shabaab terrorists.

Earlier this week, African Union and Somali government troops stepped up their attacks on al Shabaab terrorists in Mogadishu's northern outskirts, forcing hundreds of families to flee their makeshift homes and head for the city center.

An official in Mogadishu said those killed were hit by a shell in their van as they fled Lafole, 21 km (13 miles) northwest of Mogadishu, while nine others were wounded.

"A shell landed on a mini-bus fleeing from Lafole. Five died and nine others were wounded today," Ali Musa, coordinator of ambulance services, told Reuters.

It was not clear who fired the shell.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 13, 2018
Residents of the South are "tired of silence" and protesting the ceasefire

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF, TAMARA ZIEVE