Spokesman: IDF receives cease-fire order, on standby

November 21, 2012 21:14


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The IDF has received its cease-fire order and will only act in response to provocations from Gaza, IDF Spokesman Yoav Mordechai said Wednesday night.

"The IDF has received a ceasefire order.... We remain on standby." Mordechai added that the IDF will hold its fire "unless there is fire against civilians or our forces, in which case we will respond."

He said the week-long operation to repress rocket fire from Gaza dealt a "serious blow to Hamas" and "increased security for southern residents." According to Mordechai Hamas lost its military commander, Ahmed Jabari, 30, and most of its long-term strategic rockets were destroyed.

Mordechai expressed his condolences to the families of five Israelis killed by Palestinian rocket fire.

He concluded by saying that the IDF believes that the test of deterrence will be measured in the coming weeks.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 17, 2018
Final interrogation of Netanyahu in 'Bezeq Affair' ends after 4 hours