Swedish minister: Iran's talks offer 'satisfactory'

By REUTERS
February 27, 2012 11:55

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BRUSSELS - An offer of negotiations from Iran is "basically satisfactory" and talks with global powers on Tehran's nuclear program could start soon, Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt said on Monday.

Facing sanctions that could cripple its oil exports, Iran said this month it wanted to resume the talks, frozen since January last year. But six big powers, represented by EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, have yet to respond to the offer.

"We had a letter from the Iranians which was basically satisfactory," Bildt told reporters in Brussels before a meeting of European Union foreign ministers. "Now it's a question of the timing of those particular talks ... I don't know, but I don't think it's going to take too long."

A spokeswoman for Ashton said on Saturday that consultations between European governments and China, Russia and the United States were still going on to decide whether to engage Iran's approach.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 18, 2018
Home Front Command announces return to routine

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF