Turks invite Peres to UN-sponsored conference in Turkey

By
March 30, 2011 21:32

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Turkish President Abdullah Gul invited President Shimon Peres to a UN-sponsored conference in Turkey on May, something that sources in Jerusalem said was likely less about trying to break the ice between the two countries, and more about the obligation of countries hosting a UN conference to invite all member states to attend.

The President's Office said that the matter was being looked into, and that Peres was considering the invitation. The chairman of the Turkish parliament also invited Knesset speaker Reuven Rivlin to the conference as well

Israeli-Turkish relations, which had already begun to cool beforehand, started a deep nosedive in January of 2009, when – shortly after Operation Cast Lead --  Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan lambasted Peres at an economic conference in Davos.  The relations hit a nadir in May with the Marva Marmara incident, and have not recovered.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 16, 2018
Second, larger quake recorded off New Caledonia

By REUTERS