UK condemns 'outrageous' Syrian attack on Turkish jet

By REUTERS
June 24, 2012 12:58

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

LONDON - British foreign minister William Hague condemned Syria's shooting down of a Turkish jet as "outrageous" on Sunday and said Britain was ready to support robust action against Syria by the United Nations Security Council.

Turkey said earlier in the day Syria had shot down its military aircraft in international waters on Friday without warning and declared it would formally consult with NATO allies - of which Britain is one - on a reaction.

"I am gravely concerned by the Syrian regime's action in shooting down a Turkish military plane on 22 June," Hague said in a statement published by his ministry.

"This outrageous act underlines how far beyond accepted behavior the Syrian regime has put itself and I condemn it wholeheartedly," he added. "(Syria) will be held to account for its behavior. The UK stands ready to pursue robust action at the United Nations Security Council."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 21, 2018
Livni: We need to work with Palestinians to keep Israel's Jewish character

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF