(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
WASHINGTON - The US military confirmed on Thursday that one of its drones was shot down but said the incident took place in international airspace, challenging Iran's account that the US aircraft had been flying over Iranian territory.
"Iranian reports that the aircraft was over Iran are false," said Navy Captain Bill Urban, a spokesman for the US military's Central Command."This was an unprovoked attack on a US surveillance asset in international airspace."
He said the shoot-down took place in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz at approximately 11:35 p.m. GMT on June 19, 2019.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>