'Defense Ministry on the offensive since cuts'

Steinitz slams the IDF at cabinet meeting, saying it should not "incite the public against the government."

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 19, 2012 12:33
2 minute read.
soldier jumps of Merkava tank

soldier jumps of Merkava tank 390. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz accused the Defense Ministry of embarking upon "a campaign of threats and intimidation" since the government approved cuts to its budget, during Sunday morning's weekly cabinet meeting.

"In a democratic state, the army does not incite the public against the government," said Steinitz.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.




"The cabinet decided, and the army should salute and accept it," he added. "Someone is trying to cynically explore the auditor's report; we will continue to conduct a rational discussion."

Kadima MK Nachman Shai on Sunday railed against the conflict between the two ministries, saying that the issue exposes government "weakness in public."

He blamed Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu for standing "on the sidelines," instead of "rectifying the issues between two of his senior ministers."

Last week, Education Minister Gideon Sa’ar expressed similar sentiments, criticizing the Defense Ministry’s constant “campaigning against government decisions,” saying it brings harm to Israeli citizens. “Every government decision is the basis for a new campaign,” he said. “We can’t live in a state with one ministry that, the minute a decision is made, starts a campaign to change it.”

Sa’ar pointed out that other government offices were “drastically cut” due to defense budget increases in the past, and as a result, education, health and welfare services were adversely affected.

Meanwhile, Deputy Chief of Staff Maj.-Gen. Yair Naveh told the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee last week that the IDF is short NIS 3.3 billion. At a committee meeting on a freeze of IDF purchases from factories in the periphery that manufacture components for the Merkava tank, Naveh said that contract workers – the subject of a Histadrut general strike that ended last Sunday – are not more important than defense employees.

According to Naveh, the current budget has made it impossible for the IDF to grow stronger, and military exercises will stop from April.

The IDF also froze the purchase of two Iron Dome missile defense batteries and the Arrow 3 missile system.

“One can claim that the defense budget grew as compared to last year, but realistically, this isn’t true,” Naveh said. “It must be said: The IDF is in a crisis.”

Lahav Harkov contributed to this report

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN