Migron outpost aerial_311.
(photo credit: Baz Ratner / Reuters)
France and the United Kingdom condemned the state’s agreement to relocate the
Migron outpost and charged that it violated the Israel’s pledge to the
international community to dismantle such unauthorized West Bank Jewish
The foreign ministries of both countries on Friday charged
that the Migron deal set a dangerous standard with respect to other
“This agreement, which claims to “legalize” an illegal fait
accompli, sets an unacceptable precedent,” a French Foreign Ministry
The UK’s Minister for the Middle East Alistair Burt
said, “We are deeply concerned that this agreement sets a dangerous precedent
for other outposts that are illegal under both international and Israeli
“It is also directly contrary to the commitments Israel made to the
international community under the Quartet road map to evacuate all outposts,” he
“By entrenching illegal settlements in the West Bank, as we believe
this agreement does, Israel risks sending the wrong message about its commitment
to the goal of a two-state solution,” he said.
France’s Foreign Ministry
added, “It can only serve to further complicate the resumption of the political
process, while everything possible should be done to restore trust.” The
statements were issued after the state on Wednesday asked the High Court of
Justice to nullify its August ruling to evacuate Migron by the end of the month.
According to the court Migron was constructed without proper permits on land
which the state has classified as belonging to private Palestinians.
state on Wednesday told the court it had reached an agreement with all fifty
families on the outpost to relocate their community to state land two kilometers
away by November 30, 2015.
The new 70-dunam (7-hectare) site, which is
now under the auspices of the Binyamin Regional Council, would become part of
the adjacent Kochav Yaakov settlement.
On Thursday the court said it
would hold a hearing on the matter no later than the 27th of the
Last week Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu spoke in the Knesset
in support of the Migron deal and said he hoped the court would accept
The Prime Minister’s Office did not respond to the French and British
An Israeli official, however, said, “It was a workable
compromise. It was designed to both implement the Supreme Court decision to
remove Migron and at the same time prevent violence.” The official added that
Israel hoped the international community understood the necessity of such a
compromise in such a difficult situation.
Under the US-backed 2002 road
map, Israel was obligated to remove all outposts built after former prime
minister Ariel Sharon took office in March of 2001.
In his 2003 Aqaba
speech Sharon promised that Israel would begin to remove unauthorized
According to a government report compiled by attorney Talia
Sasson in 2005, Migron was built in May 2001, with 24 outposts constructed after
Sharon and prime minister Ehud Olmert personally promised the
US that these outposts would be removed.
Netanyahu reiterated that pledge
during his first meeting with US President Barack Obama in May, 2009.
since then a number of Israeli ministers have indicated that Israel no longer
felt bound by that pledge, after a dispute broke out with the Obama
administration regarding the significance and validity of Sharon’s understanding
with the Bush administration regarding settlement growth.
Netanyahu, the state has told the High Court of Justice in other outpost cases
that it is weighing the possibility of retroactively legalizing outposts on
state land. It has, however, said that outposts on private Palestinian property
would be removed.