IHH submits list of IDF soldiers involved in 'Marmara' raid

Lawyer for group that organized Gaza flotilla says soldiers' names passed onto Istanbul prosecutor after calls to obtain specific information.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
September 9, 2011 18:12
1 minute read.
Israeli commandos raid Mavi Marmara

Mavi Marmara Raid 311. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A lawyer for the Turkish based Humanitarian Relief Foundation (IHH) said Friday he had submitted a list of the soldiers involved in the Mavi Marmara raid to Turkish prosecutors. 

"We have presented a list of Israeli soldiers who gave the order for and who were involved in the attack on the Turkish flotilla to the Istanbul prosecutor's office," Ramazan Ariturk, lawyer for the group that organized the Gaza flotilla said.

RELATED:
'Mavi Marmara to be turned into a museum'
Erdogan threatens to send gunboats with next flotilla

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"Currently we are waiting for the prosecutor's office to issue an order for arrest," he added.

The  move came as the Istanbul Chief Prosecutor's Office appealed to the Turkish Intelligence Organization (MİT) in order to obtain information on the identities of the IDF soldiers who were involved in the raid which left nine Turks dead in May of last year, Turkish newspaper Zaman reported on Friday.

According the paper, an affirmative answer from MİT would allow the prosecutor to open court cases against Israeli officials including Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, President Shimon Peres, former IDF chief of General Staff Lt.- Gen. (res.) Gabi Ashkenazi , and the soldiers involved in the raid.

The charges would include the “willful murder and torture” and “limiting freedom” of the passengers, the paper reported.

Meanwhile, Turkish officials on Friday denied reports that Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's north African tour would include a visit to the Gaza Strip.



A diplomat in Ankara said "Turkey doesn’t want to enrage the Egyptian authorities."

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN