Israel: PA reviving rejected ideas in new talks

Diplomatic source in Jerusalem says Palestinian proposals have not been as serious as they could have been.

By
January 11, 2012 02:35
2 minute read.
Amman talks with Blair

Amman talks with Blair_311. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

So far the Palestinians are only bringing “recycled positions” to the negotiating table in Amman, Israeli sources said Tuesday.

“Up until now – and we hope this changes – what the Palestinians have put on the table has not been as serious as it could have been,” one source said, commenting on the second round of direct Jordanian- sponsored Israeli- Palestinian talks held in Amman on Monday.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Analysis: Differences within parties – not just between them
Media excluded from Israel-Palestinian talks
‘Document Israel gave PA was just an outline’


The Palestinian negotiators gave Israel their proposals for security and borders at their first meeting last week, which were believed to include a call for a full Israeli withdrawal to the 1967 lines, with a 1.9 percent land swap.

The Israeli side has presented a 21-point document outlining all the areas upon which there will need to be agreement for an accord to be signed. According to the Israeli side, this document can serve as a foundation for a framework agreement.

The sources said Israel wanted to move forward on the September format laid out by the Quartet that gives the sides three months to put comprehensive security and border proposals on the table. The sources rejected the Palestinian interpretation that the clock had already started ticking, and that these proposals needed to be submitted by January 26.

“We are making efforts for the talks to succeed,” one source said, without elaborating. He added that Israel would like to expand the talks, and that further discussions were scheduled “in the coming days.”



Parallel to the direct talks in Amman between Israeli negotiator Yitzhak Molcho and his Palestinian counterpart Saeb Erekat, Quartet representatives were holding separate talks in Jerusalem with both sides.

Meanwhile, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas met Tuesday with Jordanian King Abdullah II.

Afterward, according to Jordan’s Petra news agency, Abbas said the Amman talks should be utilized “regardless of how dim the prospects are.”

In an apparent endorsement of Jordan’s mediation efforts, US President Barack Obama invited Abdullah for a White House meeting on January 17.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN