Bikur Cholim Hospital 311.
(photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)
Jerusalem’s teetering Bikur Cholim Hospital has received another reprieve from
shutting down as the 30 percent of workers’ September salaries that had been
unpaid has now been deposited in the bank.
The Health Ministry said that more than 500 workers have returned to their jobs after enforcing a reduced
Shabbat schedule that prevented admissions of women in labor and other patients.
Although the staffers said they were going back to their departments, their
October salaries have still not been paid.
The ministry claimed “real
progress in negotiations” with Jerusalem’s Shaare Zedek Medical Center, which
has been offered by the government the possibility of taking over Bikur Cholim
as a new branch and running it. “Talks are expected to be completed soon,” the
Deputy Health Minister MK Ya’acov Litzman met with Prime
Minister and formally Health Minister Binyamin Netanyahu to tell him about
recent developments regarding the financially troubled, 190- year-old hospital
catering mostly to the ultra- Orthodox population.
The spokesman of the
Histadrut General Labor Federation said that Avi Nissenkorn of the trade union
branch had worked with ministry director-general Prof. Ronni Gamzu to
find a solution to the latest hospital crisis.
Jerusalem Regional Labor
Court judge Dita Prozhinin, who was notified on Tuesday that the workers were
return to their jobs, authorized them to continue their protest if they wish
because they still haven’t received last month’s wages.
official said that the workers preserved their right to hold sanctions if they
are not paid in full, including their social benefits, very soon.