Child’s missing necklace found in lungs

Doctors at Emek Medical Center in Afula were surprised to find the three-year-old had swallowed her necklace.

By
July 5, 2012 03:42
X-ray of necklace ingested by 3-year-old

X-ray of necklace ingested by 3-year-old 390. (photo credit: Emek Medical Center)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A woman in the Jezreel Valley thought her three-year-old daughter had misplaced a thin necklace she had given her and gave it up for lost. But when the girl began to cough and lost her appetite, doctors at Emek Medical Center in Afula were surprised to find that she had swallowed it, with it moving to her trachea and into the bronchi of her lungs.

When she was admitted to the emergency room over the weekend, she was sent for an X ray, which showed the necklace. Dr. Lev Shleizerman and Dr. Limor Binyamini of the ear-nose-and-throat department were called it and decided to perform surgery under general anesthesia to prevent the toddler from choking.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


But in the surgical theater, they decided to first try to remove the metal chain with a bronchoscopy via her mouth into her respiratory system and managed to pull it out.

The chairman of the pediatrics A department, Dr. Yosef Horovitz, said that doctors have become used to finding foreign objects in the respiratory and digestive system of children, but finding a necklace stuck in the bronchi of both lungs was a rare occurrence that threatened her breathing.

Related Content

Lab
August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH