Brooklyn Hassidim riot after arrest

Elderly bakery owner arrested for talking on cellular phone while driving.

April 5, 2006 11:02
1 minute read.
Brooklyn Hassidim riot after arrest

hassid 88. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Hundreds of Hasidic Jews surrounded a Brooklyn police station Tuesday night, chanting "No justice - no peace," lighting bonfires, and eventually torching a police car. They were protesting the arrest of Arthur Schick, owner of Schick's Bakery, who was pulled over for talking on his cellular phone while driving. According to police, Schick became uncooperative and was arrested. Two men who intervened as he was being put into a police van were also arrested. Sariel Widawsky, co-owner of Schick's Bakery, said that as soon as Schick stepped out of his car, police officers pushed him up against the vehicle and placed his hands behind his back. "People saw what the police were doing to a 70-to-80-year-old man and started screaming at police to leave him alone," she told the New York Times. "They literally threw him down into the van," Mr. Widawsky continued. "He fell on the first step. They picked him up and manhandled him into the van." Police refused to comment on the accusations of excessive force. News of the arrests spread quickly through the tight-knit Hassidic community, and residents took to the streets to protest. Riot police officers dispersed the crowds, which were largely calm by 9:30 p.m. Protesters created two large bonfires out of discarded cardboard, and later torched a police car. Borough Park's Hassidic population has had their share of tense relations with the police. Several hundred residents poured into the street in 1999 to protest the fatal shooting of a mentally disturbed man, who was fired upon at least 12 times when he threatened neighbors with a hammer. Arthur Schick was charged with obstructing governmental administration. The two men who tried to intervene in his arrest were charged with disorderly conduct and assault, respectively.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

May 24, 2019
End of May: British prime minister announces resignation - watch