Mauritania searching for gunmen who killed 4 French tourists

By
December 25, 2007 16:14

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Authorities in Mauritania said Tuesday they were searching for three former members of a local terror network who fled south toward neighboring Senegal after a brutal Christmas Eve attack that killed four picnicking French tourists. Gunmen opened fire on the tourists Monday near Aleg, a small town 245 kilometers east of Mauritania's capital, Nouakchott, police said. Though authorities initially thought the family had been robbed, subsequent investigations have shown they were not, the Interior Ministry said in a statement Tuesday. The dead included two children. The sole survivor, the family's father Francois Tauler, was seriously injured and flown overnight to the main hospital in Senegal's capital, Dakar, where he was in an intensive care unit, said Moussa Samb, spokesman for the hospital. Police said they detained one man early Tuesday who allegedly arranged a taxi for the three suspected men after the attack. The taxi carried them from Aleg to Boghe, a town on the Senegalese border about 65 kilometers to the south. A taxi driver interviewed by police also said he took the three to the border town.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Kosovo President Hashim Thaci speaks during interview in Pristina, Kosovo August 14, 2018
September 21, 2018
Kosovo will open embassy in Jerusalem if recognized, president says

By CASSANDRA GOMES-HOCHBERG