Methane blast hits Siberian coal mine, kills 35

By
May 24, 2007 14:07

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A methane explosion tore through a coal mine in southern Siberia, killing 35 people and injuring seven others, emergency officials said Thursday. Soon after the blast, 179 miners were safely brought to the surface, including seven with injuries, said Natalia Lukash, a spokeswoman for the Emergency Situations Ministry. Emergency workers were looking for three miners still missing in the mine in Novokuznetsk, some 3,000 kilometers east of Moscow, she said. Irina Andrianova, another ministry spokeswoman, said 217 people had been working in the Yubileinaya mine at the time of the blast.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Spokesperson Heather Nauert (L) speaks as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
December 12, 2018
Effort to thwart Iranian missiles 'futile' so far, Pompeo says

By MICHAEL WILNER