Minister: Police expect more violence in Sydney

By
December 14, 2005 05:27
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Police in Sydney expect more violence over the weekend following the race riots that rocked southern beachside suburbs for two days this week, a state government minister said Wednesday. New South Wales Police Minister Carl Scully was speaking after more than 400 officers maintained calm overnight in the suburbs hit by earlier rioting. Police stopped and checked hundreds of cars and arrested five men for carrying weapons. However, authorities were investigating whether a fire in the early hours of Wednesday at a Protestant church hall in a Sydney neighborhood with a large Middle Eastern population was linked to the unrest. Another church nearby also had several windows smashed overnight. Scully said more telephone text messages inciting violence were circulating in Sydney and other Australian cities. He said police were investigating the new text messages, similar to ones last week that led to a mob of 5,000 white Australians, including pockets of Neo Nazis, gathering at Cronulla beach in southern Sydney and attacking police, paramedics and people of Middle Eastern appearance. Youths of Middle Eastern appearance responded with a rash of attacks on people and property Sunday and Monday night. Nearly 40 people have been injured and 27 arrested.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
November 18, 2018
Khashoggi killers possibly took his dismembered body out of country

By REUTERS