New Zealand earthquake 311.
(photo credit: Associated Press)
Hopes faded of finding more survivors
Thursday in the collapsed downtown towers of New Zealand's
quake-shattered Christchurch, as officials said the death toll rose to
98 with grave fears for many of the 226 missing.
RELATED:New Zealand sees its ‘darkest day’ as deadly quake hitsIsraeli feared missing in New Zealand earthquakePolice delegation in Haiti wraps up ‘life-changing’ missionIsraeli clinic in Haiti made cholera treatment facility
Police said up to 120 bodies may still lie trapped in the tangled
concrete and steel that was the Canterbury Television or CTV building,
where dozens of students from Japan, Thailand, China and other Asian
countries were believed buried when an English-language school collapsed
along with other offices. Mayor Bob Parker, in a special interview with Army Radio, said that the suspension of rescue efforts was only temporary, and that he doubts that there are survivors still trapped underneath the rubble of the CTV building.
The official death toll from Tuesday's 6.3-magnitude temblor stood at 98, Police Superintendent Dave Cliff said. An additional 226 people were listed as missing, and Prime Minister John Key said there were "grave fears" that many of them did not survive.
"We are very fearful tonight that the death toll could be much greater than any of us have ever feared," Key said, adding that there were dozens of "international people that are caught up in this tremendous tragedy.
The Foreign Ministry and Israel consul in New Zealand on Wednesday
confirmed that between three and four Israelis are still missing and are
feared to be dead, after a 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck Christchurch
backpacker was reportedly killed, and two others were hurt in the quake.
According to media reports, friends of the man informed his parents that he was
killed when a boulder smashed into a car he was traveling in.
Ministry did not release his name, but television reports on Tuesday night
identified him as Ofer Mizrahi, 23, from Kibbutz Magal.
consul in New Zealand, Teddy Poplinger, on Wednesday said that it is
impossible to determine with certainty whether Mizrahi is among the dead
in the earthquake, reported Israel Radio.
Rescue efforts so far had focused on the CTV building and a handful of other major office complexes that crumbled downtown, but work at those sites was shifting to the recovery of bodies while the remaining rescue efforts fanned out further afield.
The damaged buildings in and around Christchurch numbered in the thousands, including many of the older structures in Lyttelton, a port town just southeast of the city and closer to the quake's epicenter. Residents there wandered through the dusty, brick and glass-covered streets, pausing to offer each other hugs and ask the ubiquitous question: "How's your house?"Among the destroyed buildings was the Chabad House, a
magnet for the scores of post-army Israeli youth who go trekking in New Zealand.
About 9,000 Israelis, the vast majority of them backpackers, visit the country
In Christchurch, hundreds of foreign specialists — from the U.S., Britain, Japan, Singapore and Taiwan — arrived to bolster local police and soldiers and allow teams to broaden their search to smaller buildings not yet checked.
"Now we've got the capability of going out and doing searches in areas where there may still be people trapped that hitherto we haven't been able to address," Civil Defense Minister John Carters said.
Key has declared the quake a national disaster, and analysts estimate insurance losses could be as much as $12 billion. That would be the most from a natural disaster since Hurricane Ike hit Texas and Louisiana in 2008, costing insurers $19 billion, according to the Insurance Information Institute.
The water system for Christchurch and surrounding areas was in disarray.
Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said water was still out for half other the city and that it might be contaminated for the other half. All residents were urged to assume that tap water is unsafe, and to boil it before using it to drink, wash or cook because of the risk of disease.
Fourteen water tankers have been dispatched around the city for people
to fill buckets or other containers, and residents were urged not to
flush toilets or use showers.
Power was restored to 75 percent of
the city, but it could take weeks to repair supplies to the rest,
including the hardest-hit regions, said Roger Sutton, the chief
executive of supplier Orion.
Tuesday's quake was the second major temblor to strike the city in the past five months.
was less powerful than the 7.1 temblor that struck before dawn on Sept.
4, damaging buildings but killing no one. Experts said Tuesday's quake
was deadlier because it was closer to the city and because more people
were about.JPost.com staff contributed to this report.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>