Qatar nixes UN call to free reservists

Security Council unanimously demands Hizbullah unconditionally release them.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
August 4, 2007 01:15
1 minute read.
UN security council

UN security council 298. (photo credit: Channel 1)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

Following objections from Qatar, the United Nations Security Council decided late Friday to delay the publication of a presidential statement calling for Hizbullah to release captive IDF reservists Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev immediately and without preconditions, Israel Radio reported. The statement, which was approved unanimously by 15 nations, also expressed concern that Hizbullah had not thus far released any information regarding the soldiers' condition. Last week, President Shimon Peres said that Israel's position was that Goldwasser and Regev were still alive. Peres was responding to a report in the Lebanese newspaper An Nahar that one of reservists was dead. "The position of Israel and the IDF is that the reservists are alive and it won't change because of a publication in this or any other Arab newspaper," Peres told new IDF tank recruits. Hizbullah leader Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah has consistently refused to confirm whether Goldwasser and Regev are alive. In response to a statement by French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner that he "understood" the soldiers were alive after talks with Hizbullah officials in Paris, Nasrallah said in an interview to Al Jazeera: "The French foreign minister understood that they are alive, but our people do not tend to answer questions of this kind." Nasrallah claimed that he was the sole official authorized to give details in the matter and added that "for every utterance such as this we can receive human compensation, and therefore there is no reason that we would give information for free."


Related Content

Israel soccer
June 24, 2018
Israeli soccer fans harassed at World Cup in Moscow

By JTA