Report: N. Korea may shut key reactor

Pyongyang says it would accept UN inspections if conditions were met.

By
December 14, 2006 04:14
1 minute read.
Report: N. Korea may shut key reactor

n korea nuclear 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

North Korea has told the United States it is willing to shut down a key nuclear reactor and accept UN inspections if certain conditions are met, a news report said Thursday. The North said it could close the five-megawatt reactor in its main nuclear complex in Yongbyon and accept inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency, the newspaper Hankook Ilbo reported from Washington, citing an unidentified State Department official. The conditions include North Korea's long-standing call for Washington to lift financial restrictions for its alleged currency counterfeiting and money laundering and a demand for energy aid, the newspaper said in its Thursday edition. The communist regime conveyed that position to Washington via China in the course of setting the date to resume six-party talks on its nuclear program, the newspaper said. The nuclear talks, involving China, Japan, the two Koreas, Russia and the United States, are scheduled to resume Monday for the first time since November last year. "We have the minimum hope that North Korea will not come (to the nuclear talks) empty-handed," the State Department official was quoted as saying. North Korea has boycotted the nuclear talks in anger over the US financial restrictions, but agreed to return to the negotiating table weeks after conducting its first-ever nuclear test on October 9.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The logo of Volvo is seen on the front grill of a Volvo truck in a customer showroom at the company'
September 24, 2018
Volvo halts Iran truck assembly due to U.S. sanctions

By REUTERS