S. Korean foreign minister expects N. Korean nuke talks to resume in June

By
May 21, 2008 13:32

South Korea's foreign minister said Wednesday he expects six-nation talks on North Korea's nuclear programs will resume in mid-June. "We will spare no efforts to induce North Korea to complete the declaration of its nuclear programs," Yu Myung-hwan said at a reception for foreign ambassadors to Seoul. The United States and North Korea have seen progress in resolving a key dispute over Pyongyang's commitment to fully account for its nuclear programs under a disarmament deal last year. North Korea also agreed to disable its main nuclear reactor as part of the process of abandoning its nuclear programs for economic and political rewards. Seoul's chief nuclear negotiator, Kim Sook, said upon returning from Washington - where he met with his US and Japanese counterparts - that diplomatic efforts are under way to reopen the nuclear talks next month. The negotiations have involved both Koreas, the United States, Japan, China and Russia.


Related Content

June 20, 2018
Hungary approves 'STOP Soros' law, defying EU, rights groups

By REUTERS