Sudan gov't to discuss UN-AU peacekeeping mission

By
December 23, 2006 16:44

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Sudanese government will meet on Tuesday to implement the first phase of a hybrid UN-African Union peacekeeping mission to Darfur, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Saturday. Khartoum has said it accepted a UN-proposed package, but insisted that the AU would be the larger contributor to the peacekeeping force for the war torn region of western Sudan. Foreign Ministry spokesman Sadeq al-Magli said the government has "agreed to meet on Tuesday for the immediate implementation of what has been agreed upon." He did not elaborate. The state-run Sudan News Agency said the first phase of UN package includes sending about 105 military, 33 police and 45 civilian experts along with logistical support and communication equipment. It said those personnel would be deployed under the command of the AU mission in Darfur.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Spokesperson Heather Nauert (L) speaks as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
December 12, 2018
Effort to thwart Iranian missiles 'futile' so far, Pompeo says

By MICHAEL WILNER