US: N. Korea's nuke claim provocative, not surprise

Special envoy says Pyongyang's revelation of highly sophisticated, modern enrichment operation is "disappointing announcement."

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 22, 2010 06:28
2 minute read.
US nuclear envoy Stephen Bosworth

Stephen Bosworth in South Korea 311. (photo credit: AP Photo/Lee Jin-man)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

SEOUL, South Korea — The US special envoy for North Korea said Monday that Pyongyang's claim of a new uranium enrichment facility is provocative and disappointing but not a crisis or a surprise. Washington, he vowed, will keep working closely with its Asian partners in response.

Stephen Bosworth's comments, following a meeting with South Korean Foreign Minister Kim Sung-hwan, came as the United States and the North's neighbors scrambled to deal with Pyongyang's revelation to a visiting American nuclear scientist of a highly sophisticated, modern enrichment operation that had what the North says are 2,000 recently completed centrifuges.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
US scientist: N. Korea opens new nuclear plant
Talks 'only option' to end North Korea's nuclear program

"This is obviously a disappointing announcement. It is also another in a series of provocative moves" by North Korea, Bosworth said. "That being said, this is not a crisis. We are not surprised by this. We have been watching and analyzing the (North's) aspirations to produce enriched uranium for some time." Kim also played down the facility, telling reporters: "It's nothing new." Top US military officials, however, warned that it could speed up the North's ability to make and deliver viable nuclear weapons.

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates said it could enable North Korea to build "a number" of nuclear devices beyond the handful it is presumed to have already assembled. Gates was speaking in Bolivia, where he is attending a regional defense conference.

The American scientist, Siegfried Hecker, posted a report over the weekend that said he was taken during a recent trip to the North's main Yongbyon atomic complex to a small, industrial-scale uranium enrichment facility.

Hecker, a former director of the US Los Alamos Nuclear Laboratory who is regularly given rare glimpses of the North's secretive nuclear program, said the North Korean program had been built in secret and with remarkable speed.



It wasn't immediately clear why the North chose to reveal the previously hidden facility. It could be a ploy to win concessions in nuclear talks or an attempt to bolster leader Kim Jong Il's apparent heir. The North could also be serious about producing nuclear electricity.

Regardless, it provides a new set of worries for the Obama administration, which has shunned direct negotiations with North Korea following its nuclear and missile tests last year and in the wake of an international finding that a North Korean torpedo sank a South Korean warship in March, killing 46 sailors.

The United States has been working with China, Japan, Russia and South Korea since 2003 to persuade North Korea to abandon its nuclear programs through a framework known as the six-party talks. Bosworth was to travel later this week to Japan and China for talks.

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, called North Korea "a very dangerous country." "I've been worried about North Korea and its potential nuclear capability for a long time," Mullen said on ABC's "This Week." ''This certainly gives that potential real life, very visible life that we all ought to be very, very focused on."

Related Content

August 15, 2018
US tensions with Turkey deepen amid standoff over detained pastor

By MICHAEL WILNER