US court orders Iran to compensate terror victims

Court awards $600m. to family of man killed in 2003 J'lem bombing, family injured in 1995 Gaza bombing, both carried out by Iran-backed terror groups.

By JORDANA HORN, JERUSALEM POST CORRESPONDENT
May 21, 2011 17:15
2 minute read.
A gavel strikes at the issuing of justice

311_gavel. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

NEW YORK – A Washington, DC federal court judge – in two separate rulings – ordered Iran to pay a total of $600 million in punitive damages to families of American citizens murdered and wounded in terror attacks that took place in Israel.

In the first case, in which Hamas claimed responsibility for a 2003 Jerusalem bus-suicide bombing, plaintiffs from the family of Alan Beer, an American citizen killed in the attack, said Iran was legally liable due to having provided financial support to the terror group.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
US adds more names to Iran terror list
NY judge to preside over PLO terror lawsuit


The second case involved a 1995 Islamic- Jihad bombing of a bus in Gush Katif that killed eight people and wounded dozens of others. American citizen Seth Haim, his father and his brother, all injured in the attack, filed suit in US federal- district court against Iran.

The punitive damages award, decided by US District Judge Royce Lamberth, is largely symbolic.

Lamberth said he was making the awards in the interest of deterring future terrorist attacks. Size restrictions on damages, Lamberth said in his 21-page opinion, should not apply in terrorism cases.

“The court... expresses hope that the sanction it issues today will play a measurable role in changing the conduct of Iran – and other supporters of international terrorism – in the future,” Lamberth said.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


To collect Lamberth’s award, their lawyers must find Iranian assets in a country with judges willing to order those assets seized on their behalf, based on Lamberth’s rulings.

Lamberth has ruled similarly in other cases involving Iran. In September of last year, he ordered Iran to pay nearly $92 million to victims of the 1983 suicide bombing of US Marine barracks in Beirut.

He ordered Iran to pay the survivors and their relatives a total of more than $30.6 million, as well as nearly $61.3 million in punitive damages to the two plaintiffs who survived the bombing.

“The Court sincerely hopes that the compensatory damages awarded today help to alleviate plaintiffs’ and intervenors’ injuries, and that the punitive damages also awarded inspire Iran to adhere to its professed opposition to terrorism,” Lamberth wrote in last September’s opinion.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Nazi Swastika
November 13, 2018
Former death-camp guard tells German court he was never a Nazi

By REUTERS