Barak: Iran must open nuclear facilities to IAEA

Defense minister reiterates conditions over Iran's nuclear program, in light of 'NY Times' report laying out US demands.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, REUTERS
April 8, 2012 11:02
2 minute read.
Defense Minister Ehud Barak

Defense Minister Ehud Barak 311. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Iran must open all of its nuclear facilities to the IAEA, and disclose its entire history of activity related to the allegation of developing a nuclear weapon, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said Sunday.

Barak added this new stipulation to previous conditions he laid out last week, which he reiterated Sunday in light of a New York Times report that laid out the United States' list of demands for Iran over its nuclear program. Barak previously stated that Iran must agree to close the underground facilities at Fordow, and to transfer all uranium fuel enriched to 20 percent out of Iran.

The Times article, which was published on Saturday, said the US would demand at upcoming P5+1 talks with Iran that Tehran close its underground nuclear facility at Fordow, and transfer out of the country uranium fuel that has been enriched to weapons-grade level. The US reiterated its acceptance of a civilian nuclear program, which Iran is allowed to pursue under its acceptance of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation treaty.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The Obama administration and its European allies also will call for a halt in the production of higher-level enrichment of uranium fuel, and the shipment of existing stockpiles of that fuel out of Iran, the newspaper said, citing US and European diplomats.

Defense Ministry Diplomatic-Security Bureau Head Amos Gilad Maj.-Gen. (res.) also responded to the Times article on Sunday morning, saying the most important part of the report is the US's insistence that Iran not be allowed to acquire a nuclear bomb. "The US's unequivocal commitment that it won't allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon is the most important part" of the Times report, Gilad told Army Radio.

Diplomats told the Times that they could not imagine any agreement that left Iran with a stockpile of fuel, enriched to 20 percent purity, that could be converted to the grade needed to make an atomic bomb in a matter of months.

"We have no idea how the Iranians will react," a senior Obama administration official told the newspaper. "We probably won't know after the first meeting."

The opening talks are tentatively set for Friday.



Click here for full Jpost coverage of the Iranian threat

Related Content

Bushehr nuclear Iranian
August 5, 2014
Iran and the bomb: The future of negotiations

By YONAH JEREMY BOB