Air pollution at oil spill site minimized, but cleanup still in full swing

Oil spill site completely free of liquid petroleum; investigation into circumstances of spill still underway.

By
January 12, 2015 17:32
2 minute read.
Shaul Goldstein (left) and MK Ofir Akunis

Shaul Goldstein (left) and MK Ofir Akunis. (photo credit: ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION MINISTRY)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Air quality tests indicate a 90 percent reduction of pollution levels in the Evrona Nature Reserve area, the site of last month’s large oil spill north of Eilat, the Environmental Protection Ministry reported on Monday.

“All of the oil has been pumped – parts of the reserve will be opened to the public soon,” Deputy Environmental Protection Minister Ophir Akunis said, after touring the site in the morning.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Cleanup has been ongoing since the Eilat-Ashkelon Pipeline Company spill took place on December 3, sending some 5 million liters of crude oil surging into the Arava. After further tests in the coming days and weeks, a decision will be made as to when to reopen the Evrona Reserve to the public, the ministry said.

At the end of December, the government approved a NIS 17 million budget to rehabilitate the portions of the desert affected by the oil spill, in addition to the funds being contributed by EAPC for the cleanup. About 30 companies have been participating in the decontamination effort, the ministry said.

During Akunis’s tour of the region on Monday, Israel Nature and Parks Authority director-general Shaul Goldstein updated the deputy minister on the companies’ trials with various technologies to clean up the polluted soil. Following the completion of these trials, a decision will be made as to the best method of purifying the land without causing damage to the surrounding reserve, Goldstein said.

Akunis and Environment Ministry officials also visited the dams that have been erected to prevent the spread of contamination in the event of flooding, the ministry said. Meanwhile, all 700 polluted puddles that had been scattered around the area for a number of kilometers have successfully been pumped by INPA and EAPC employees, the ministry added.

At the moment, the reserve is completely free from liquid petroleum – which could pose particular dangers if flooding were to occur, according to the ministry.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The Environment Ministry’s Green Police opened a criminal investigation to examine the circumstances behind the spill, and work on the case is ongoing, the ministry said.

“We are doing everything in order to return life to the reserve,” Akunis said.

“Soon tractors will be replaced by families and hikers who will return to enjoy one of the most beautiful reserves in the Arava. At the same time, I am working to release the EAPC beach in Eilat for the general public, and to preserve the coral reef found there.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

September 23, 2018
Hamas halts cease-fire talks, blames Abbas

By HAGAY HACOHEN