Ari Shavit's 'comeback' event on hold due to new sexual misconduct claim

After reports of the disgraced journalist's re-entry into public life, new accusations about sexual harassment came to light, prompting a halt to his 'comeback.'

By BEN SALES/JTA
December 16, 2017 01:30
3 minute read.
Israeli author

Journalist Ari Shavit has written a new book “My Promised Land.”. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

NEW YORK – An event featuring Ari Shavit, the Israeli author and columnist accused last year of sexual assault, has disappeared from the website of the 92nd Street Y, a Jewish community center, after two more women came forward with sexual misconduct allegations.

Shavit was the scheduled keynote speaker at an Israeli Independence Day program in April at the Manhattan Y. It would have been his first major public event in the United States since the assault accusations last year.

The talk, which was first reported by The Jerusalem Post, was advertised as “a timely, thoughtful discussion” on Israel’s challenges and Shavit’s forthcoming book, which was unnamed.

But as of Friday afternoon, notice of the event has been removed from the website and tickets page after two more women told the magazine Jewish Currents of sexual misconduct allegations from 2014 and 2015. At the time, both students were involved with the left-wing campus group J Street U.

Amna Farooqi, who served as national student president of J Street U, told Jewish Currents that in 2015, Shavit kissed her at the end of a meeting in a way she described to a friend as “weird” and “inappropriate.”

The friend confirms their conversation.

Catriona Stewart, who currently serves as J Street U’s deputy director, told Jewish Currents that when she was a student, Shavit rubbed her lower back inappropriately during a photo shoot.

The 92nd Street Y did not respond to calls and emails requesting comment. Shavit did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

The announcement of his talk, as well as the new allegations, came during the “#MeToo moment,” as a wave of women have stepped forward to accuse a rash of high-profile men of sexual assault and harassment.

Shavit admitted last year that he was the unnamed Israeli journalist whom Danielle Berrin, a reporter at the Jewish Journal of Greater Los Angeles, accused of sexual harassment and assault in an October 2016 cover story.


Berrin wrote that Shavit grabbed the back of her head and pulled her toward him. Afterward, she wrote, he propositioned her, invited her up to his hotel room and “continued to pull and paw at me.”

A second woman, who worked for J Street but remained anonymous, also accused Shavit of sexual harassment in 2016.

The accusations led Shavit to resign as a columnist at Haaretz and a commentator on Israeli Channel 10.

Shavit is also the author of My Promised Land, a well-received book about Israel that made him a popular draw on the US Jewish lecture circuit.

Shavit told the Post in a statement last week, before the Jewish Currents article, that he has gone through “a personal year of reckoning, humility and change.”

“I spent precious time with my family, addressed my past and did my utmost to become a better person,” the statement read, adding that the process “is ongoing and will stay with me for the rest of my life. I am looking forward to discuss it in depth and full transparency next year. When I’ll do so, I will express unequivocal commitment to women, gender equality and tikkun olam,” Hebrew for repairing the world.

On Friday, in an email to Jewish Currents, Shavit did not deny the women’s accounts, but said he “left the public arena” in order to “begin a deep process of reckoning and self-reflection.”

“I continue to take responsibility for my actions,” he wrote in the email. “I’ve asked forgiveness from those whom I hurt and I am profoundly sorry for the pain I have caused.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

February 23, 2019
Israelis sail the world to escape 'government mafia'

By HAGAY HACOHEN