Committee approves sanctions on constructions safety violations

Some 12 construction workers died since the beginning of 2017.

By
June 7, 2017 20:13
2 minute read.
har homa

A crane is seen next to Har Homa in Jerusalem. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Knesset Labor, Welfare and Health Committee approved on Wednesday an ordinance that will allow fining contractors for safety failures that were found in their construction sites.

The ordinance, which was initiated by Labor and Social Services Minister Haim Katz, also allows the ministry’s inspectors to hold the contractors personally responsible for charges filed against them for violating safety regulations.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


It was decided that the maximum sum of such a fine would be NIS 35,280. CEOs of construction companies that fail to correct safety deficiencies will be fined up to NIS 9,000.

At the Knesset panel, Katz said he views financial punishments as the most efficient ways to deal with this phenomenon.

“We don’t see any other way that could prevent construction accidents,” he said. “Now that [contractors] will have to pay, things will change.”

Katz added that besides imposing fines, his ministry is seeking to add extra inspectors to oversee construction sites and to improve the working conditions.

The ordinance is to come into effect in January 2018, and will not have to go through readings at the Knesset plenum. It will mainly focus on construction gear and maintenance, work at night and operation of cranes.



According to the Coalition Against Construction Accidents, 12 construction workers have died since the beginning of 2017, and 48 died during 2016.

The head of the group, Hadas Tagari, told The Jerusalem Post that approving this measure is a step in the right direction, but there is still a long way to go.

“This ordinance will give the inspectors an additional tool to combat this phenomenon,” she said. “But there is a major lack of manpower; only 19 inspectors are overseeing some 12,000 working sites.”

Tagari added that moving the responsibility for construction inspectors from the Economics Ministry to the Labor and Social Services Ministry, which happened last year, detracted from the efficiency of their oversight.

“We expect minster Katz to use his power, like he does with other issues, to fix the problems that occurred after this move,” she said.

MK Dov Henin (Joint List) said the ordinance is welcomed, but it comes after a long period in which the government neglected the workers. “It has led to dozens of deaths each year,” he said.

Henin added that many steps should be taken to make the oversight really effective, and that the field should receive more funding.

Related Content

August 20, 2018
Israeli talk show suspended for labeling MKs 'terrorists'

By AMY SPIRO