Education Ministry responds to anger over new matriculation guidelines

Newest guidelines have delivery services bringing the exam questionnaires directly to approximately half the schools in the country.

By HAYAH GOLDLIST-EICHLER
May 18, 2015 22:32
2 minute read.
The BDS

Students in a classroom [Illustrative]. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Education Ministry responded to anger over new matriculation guidelines with a directive on Monday to have delivery services bring the exam questionnaires directly to approximately half the schools in the country.

The rest of the schools will send two representatives to sign for the packages of questionnaires at the post office and will be held accountable for their safety until the start of the exam.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The past two weeks have seen four matriculation exams leaked over social media, sparking outcry from students, parents and teachers, and changes in ministry guidelines.

The National Parents Association slammed the ministry’s interim guidelines that were in effect from last week until Monday evening, which mandated a 45-minute lockdown for students before the start of each exam while the questionnaires were transmitted to schools electronically and printed during that time.

The association’s statement expressed regret that there had been no effort by the ministry to consult and cooperate with the association.

“The decision about the new guidelines is far-reaching and presents severe harm to students during the most sensitive and stressful time for them, the matriculation period,” the statement said.

The association had demanded that the decision be frozen and a new discussion be held involving the parents.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The newest ministry guidelines were put together after a series of marathon discussions with experts and various external bodies that looked into a number of different options to ensure the integrity of the exams. After discovering that half the schools could be reached by messenger service, the ministry decided to put into place the new guidelines that eliminate the lockdown that was deemed harmful by the parents association.

The ministry announced that the newest guidelines were formed with the cooperation of local authorities, representatives of school principals, teachers, students, and parents. The new guidelines will go into effect from this coming Wednesday, applying to the math matriculation exam.

Education Minister Naftali Bennett said “we are at the height of the matriculation season and we need to make decisions in real time, while ensuring that the exams are done in an honest and fair way.”

Students will still have to hand in their phones 30 minutes before the start of the exam. The old guidelines regarding the electronic transfer of the questionnaires will be used as a backup in case of leaks.

The ministry emphasized that the integrity of the exams and the right of students to take the exams is of utmost importance, and it is doing all it can do to ensure that the exams will go forward on schedule and with no further leaks.

“It must be noted, unfortunately, that the fear of questionnaires being leaked over social media still exists,” the ministry stated and continued to ask schools to have facilities available to receive electronically transmitted exams and print them on site.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The site of a terror attack at Gitai Avisar Junction on Monday October, 15, 2018
October 15, 2018
Stabbing reported in the West Bank

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF