Graves could be exhumed in search for missing Yemenite children

“Every day, my table is full of requests from families who want to know what happened to their loved ones.”

By
July 16, 2017 15:18
2 minute read.
Yemenite immigrants

Yemenite immigrants gather for a photo at Rosh Ha’ayin, in the early years of the state.. (photo credit: ILLUSTRATIVE: GPO FLICKR)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Legislation allowing for graves to be dug up as part of the new investigation into the fate of children who went missing from 1948 through 1970 was approved by the Ministerial Committee for Legislation on Sunday.

Likud MK Nurit Koren – who proposed the bill and is chairwoman of a special Knesset committee on renewed efforts to find out what happened to the children, most of whom were Yemenite immigrants – pledged to do all she can to help families who lost their loved ones.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“We are working especially hard to uncover the truth about this horrible affair, through legislation and through the special committee’s work,” she said.

Koren’s bill would allow families who have reason to suspect that a grave belongs to a relative – based on one of the three state investigations into the affair and subject to court approval – to have the body exhumed in order to collect genetic material and test whether they were related.

In 2016, the state declassified its archival material on the topic, but the issue continues to generate interest.

Families found documents they never saw before, but many also found contradictory information, or details that are different from those listed on the graves in which they were told their relatives were interred. Some of the families claim children were systematically taken without their parents’ consent and given to Ashkenazi families.

Koren said that until the material was declassified many families did not even know the graves existed.



“The protocols revealed death certificates and locations of graves. But how can family members know if what was written is true, whether their sons and daughters are indeed buried in that place?” she asked. “Every day, my table is full of requests from families who want to know what happened to their loved ones.”

The bill was originally supposed to go to a Ministerial Committee for Legislation vote last week, but the Religious Affairs Committee waited for authorization from the Chief Rabbinate.

Koren pointed out that she had already attached appendices to the bill showing that former Sephardic chief Rabbi Ovadia Yosef and prominent Yemenite translator of Maimonides Rabbi Yosef Kapach, both of whom are deceased, allowed for exhuming graves for this purpose.

“Any postponement of this bill directly harms the families,” Koren stated.

“Parents are dying without being able to know the fate of their loved ones, and therefore, we must speed up passing the bill. I will continue to act to pass it quickly and prevent unnecessary bureaucratic matters to delay things and hurt the families.”

Related Content

Sodastream sold to Pepsico for 3.2 billion dollars, Aug 20, 2018
August 20, 2018
SodaStream to stay in Israel after $3.2 billion acquisition

By TAMARA ZIEVE