Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
(photo credit: HAIM ZACH/GPO)
Until now, the international community has not "pointed a finger of blame" at Iran for attacks along Israel's northern borders, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in a phone call Sunday evening.
Netanyahu reiterated his blame of Iran for last week's deadly attack near the border with Lebanon that killed two IDF soldiers, saying the Islamic Republic was attempting to "build an infrastructure of terror against Israel on the Golan Heights and with terror operations around the world."
Iranian-backed Hezbollah claimed responsibility for the anti-tank missile strike on an IDF patrol convoy traveling near Har Dov on Wednesday.
A Spanish UNIFIL soldier died
after the attack as Israel responded with air strikes and artillery fire, a UN spokesman and Spanish officials said.
Netanyahu expressed his regret over the death of Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo, noting that Israel had agreed to work with Spain on launching a joint investigations into the incident. He also thanked Ban for his condolence over the death of IDF Maj Yochai Kalangel and IDF St.-Sgt. Dor Haim Nini.
In light of the attack, the premier said to Ban that UN peacekeeping forces were not reporting on the smuggling of weapons where they are stationed in southern Lebanon.
Turing toward the Palestinian issue, Netanyahu also said the Palestinian Authority's appeal for membership
to the International Criminal Court was a "risky move that could destabilize the region."
Tovah Lazaroff contributed to this report.