(photo credit: SHOMRON REGIONAL COUNCIL)
Settlers plan to converge in the capital from along Route 60 in Gush Etzion Tuesday in a convoy of cars bearing flags in the late afternoon, ahead of a large rally at 7 p.m. in Paris Square demanding better security.
“This is a rally for all of Israel. We are all united against terrorism,” said Avi Ro’eh, who heads the Council of Jewish Communities in Judea and Samaria, which organized the event.
The settler protest began with Samaria Regional Council head Yossi Dagan, who has sat in a tent outside the Prime Minister’s Residence in Jerusalem since October 1.
He felt compelled to do so after the October 1 attack, in which Eitam and Naama Henkin were killed by Palestinian gunmen in the West Bank. The violence quickly spread to Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Kiryat Gat and Afula.
“The enemy is here. It’s clear that he is not just on the streets of Judea and Samaria but in every corner of State of Israel. Every Israeli who sees what is happening in this country should come to the rally,” Ro’eh said.
Settlers are calling on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to respond to the terrorist attacks by approving more settlement building in Judea and Samaria.
On Sunday night Dagan filed a formal complaint at the police station about a threatening post in Arabic on his Facebook page.
It warned Dagan that explosives had been placed by his house.
“When you see this message, it could be that your home will explode within minutes,” the message said. “Those who began this evil have to be responsible for it.”
Dagan said that these posts were part of the same wave of terrorism whose goals was to force Jews to leave the Land of Israel.
“We are here to stay. Nothing will move us to leave. I do not fear for my life. I will continue the battle for security and peace together with the rest of the nation of Israel,” he said.