Shouts of ‘Allahu Akbar’ send police to false Tel Aviv alarm

Call sends police scrambling.

November 19, 2014 19:08

Israeli Police. (photo credit: ISRAEL POLICE)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Panic gripped a stretch of Ben-Yehuda Street in Tel Aviv on Tuesday night, when a series of callers told police dispatchers they heard shouts of “Allahu Akbar” (“God is great” in Arabic) coming from an apartment on the street.

Considering the current tension in Israel and string of terrorist attacks, officers from the Lev Tel Aviv station scrambled to the scene, arriving at the door of an apartment whose three inhabitants refused to admit them. Police said they were able to determine that the shouts were coming from a sound system and being projected toward the street and surrounding area.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

After the officers determined there was no security threat, one of the men agreed to go with them downstairs to the sidewalk, where he refused to identify himself and was arrested, Tel Aviv police said.

At that point, the other two men came downstairs and began interfering with the officers. When one of them allegedly attacked one of the policemen, both were arrested.

Police said the three, whom they identified only as “leftwing Jews,” denied any connection to the shouts that were reportedly heard on the street.

Related Content

Reuven Rivlin
July 22, 2018
In shadow of Hayun questioning, Rivlin holds Tisha Be’av study session