Air Force base commander quits post

Colonel Erez headed base where 13-year-old girl was allegedly raped.

By
June 15, 2006 08:53
1 minute read.
EliezerShkediIAFcommander

EliezerShkediIAF. (photo credit: Channel 10)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Col. Erez, commander of the Nevatim Air Force Base where a 14-year-old girl allegedly had sex with dozens of soldiers over the past year, resigned his command on Thursday to OC Air Force Maj.-Gen. Eliezer Shkedy. Shkedy accepted the resignation, claiming that while the base commander was definitely not involved in the affair, his request to resign from his post following the investigation demonstrated a high-level of ethical commitment to his job as a commanding officer. Col. Erez's request followed publication of the interim Military Police report on the investigation which found that the base commander was not a suspect and that no evidence had been found connecting him to the events. It was unclear if he would remain in the service. "The base commander's request demonstrates for me a unique and ethical approach to service as a commanding officer," Shkedy wrote in a letter distributed on Thursday to all IAF commanders. "The taking of responsibility by the officer and the request to complete his service just because the events occurred on the base he commanded, even when the investigation does not find him guilty of the events, is a worthy action which I hold in the highest regard." In what has been described as the worst sex scandal in IDF history, the Military Police began an investigation in April into allegations that close to 50 IAF servicemen on the Nevatim base in the South had sex a 14-year-old girl, the daughter of a career airman who lived on the base. The sexual relations, the IDF said, began 18 months ago when the girl was 13. Under interrogation, the soldiers confessed to having sex with her but claimed she told them she was 16 - a legal age for sex. The girl, a high-ranking IAF officer said, was not paid for the sex and admitted to sleeping with the soldiers with her full consent. Chief of General Staff Lt.-Gen. Dan Halutz instructed the Military Police to continue its investigation and to bring the soldiers guilty of statutory rape to justice. "Events that cast doubt on the morality and ethics of soldiers cannot be allowed to happen in the IDF," Halutz said. "We will continue to uncover the anomalies and to seek justice."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN