Analysis: Israel's PR machine fails yet again

Without an early Israeli response, media was full of one-sided reports.

June 1, 2010 10:26
1 minute read.
Israeli reporters on the job

Israeli reporters on the job. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Like many military operations in the past that ended with unexpected casualties – including last winter’s Operation Cast Lead – the IDF was caught unprepared and without an adequate response to the reports on Monday morning that some 10 activists aboard the Mavi Marmara had been killed.

As usual, instead of taking the initiative and setting the media tone, the Israeli PR machine was scrambling for damage control on Monday.

This does not mean that the IDF did not prepare. Meetings were conducted in the weeks leading up to Monday’s operation between the IDF Spokesman’s Office and the Foreign Ministry. The first tactic chosen was to try and undermine the flotilla’s legitimacy and show that the ships were organized by a radical Islamic group called IHH that was based in Turkey and had ties with Hamas.
The government also went out of its way to prove that there was not a humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip. Reporters were invited down to the Kerem Shalom crossing into Gaza and shown the truckloads of food and medical supplies that Israel transfers daily to the Strip.

But, as in the past, when hell broke loose, the government and military spokespeople could not be found.

While the initial reports of dead and wounded came out at about 5:30 a.m., it took the IDF more than four hours to respond. This is without a doubt an improvement compared to the 2006 fiasco surrounding the IDF air strike that hit a home in the Lebanese village of Kafr Kana, which the military only explained over 12 hours later.

The IDF had hoped to obtain a complete media blackout and planned to jam the signals from the Mavi Marmara. This did not work and the cameras on the boat successfully transmitted images throughout most of the takeover and enabled the activists to get their message out about the Israeli “aggression.”

Without an Israeli response – which came out later in the day and seemingly proved that the soldiers acted in self defense – the media was full of one-sided reports based on Al Jazeera. What Israel needs to realize is that in today’s media world, every minute counts.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town