Druse suspect arrested in Majdal Shams

Man's capture sparked near-riot in northern village.

July 12, 2010 17:42
1 minute read.
majdal shams 298.88

majdal shams 298.88. (photo credit: GPO)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The standoff that nearly erupted into rioting on Sunday night in the Druse village of Majdal Shams on the Golan was triggered by the arrest of a man suspected of security offenses, police said on Monday.

Fada Sha’ar, of Majdal Shams, was arrested on Sunday night by the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) and the Israel Police’s International Crimes Unit, it was revealed on Monday. The suspect’s custody was extended by eight days by the Petah Tikva Magistrate’s Court.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Druse upheaval in Madjal Shams
Druse clash with cops in north

Unlike Israeli Druse, almost all the residents of Majdal Shams and the three other Druse villages on the Golan Heights identify as Syrians.

Sunday’s confrontation ended peacefully thanks to the efforts of village elders and a police negotiations team.

Several officers had entered a home in the early evening to conduct a search and make arrests, police said.

Before long, more than 1,000 villagers surrounded the home and refused to allow the officers to leave. Police dispatched a negotiations team that spoke with village elders.

Many riot policemen armed with crowd dispersal equipment were ordered to the village by Israel Police Insp.-Gen. David Cohen, in case the negotiations failed.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town