Embassy gunman taken to hospital

Injaz flashes victory sign, curses as taken away in police custody.

August 18, 2010 00:35
2 minute read.
The Turkish embassy during the standoff with Palestinian gunman Nadim Injaz.

311_Turkish embassy in Tel Aviv. (photo credit: Ben Hartman)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Palestinian gunman Nadim Injaz has been evacuated from the Turkish embassy and brought into Israeli police custody Tuesday evening.

Injaz was swarmed by photographers and journalists as he was escorted by police into an ambulance outside the building and brought to Ichilov Hospital in Tel Aviv for treatment of his gunshot wounds.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Gunman broke into UK embassy 4 years ago
 Commander, soldier convicted in shooting of Palestinian
TA rally to remember gay club murders

Injaz was fully conscious as he left the building and flashed a victory sign for reporters as he cursed profusely while he was taken away.

No others were hurt in the standoff incident and no hostages had been taken, police confirmed.

Because the embassy building is considered Turkish sovereign territory, the acts committed by Injaz during and immediately preceding the standoff are not legally punishable in Israel. Instead, Israeli police have arrested Injaz under suspicion of illegally residing in Israel due to his lack of proper identification papers.

Injaz gained entry to the Turkish embassy in Tel Aviv on Tuesday evening, claimed he was armed, and demanded safe passage to Ankara, before being injured by a gunshot apparently fired by embassy security staff.  Conflicting reports emerged about how he was able to gain access the premises.

Turkish reporters from television channel "TRT – Turk", who were inside the embassy after Injaz was taken for medical treatment, reported that embassy staff said the man had entered the building by climbing through a second floor window; an area that is reportedly a blind spot for the building's security.

TRT Turk reported that Injaz then went directly to the first counselor of the embassy and sought asylum from the Turkish government, saying his life was in danger. Because he was in the building after operating hours, security was immediately called in order to remove him from the building. Injaz was shot after he reportedly refused to leave the building started acting in an inappropriate manner. TRT Turk also said they had heard reports that psychiatric drugs were found in Injaz's bag.

They also said that were reports that when security guards made their way upstairs to remove Injaz, he attempted to take the First Counselor hostage.

Police said he was involved in a similar incident at the British embassy in Tel Aviv in 2006.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town