'Evacuate all outposts in few weeks'

Peres calls for removal of all outposts; MoD drafting plans to clear out 24.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
June 4, 2006 14:05
1 minute read.
outpost evacuation scuffle 298

outpost evacuation 298. (photo credit: Jewish Community of Hebron [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

All of the illegal outposts in Judea and Samaria will be evacuated in the next few weeks, said Vice Prime Minister Shimon Peres in a Sunday interview with Israel Radio. He noted that Israel had made a commitment to the US on the matter, and added that in his opinion, the outposts should be evacuated before the convergence plan is implemented. The Defense Ministry is drafting plans to evacuate 24 out of about 105 outposts. However, the evacuation plan has yet to be completed or formally approved. No date has been set for the removal of the unauthorized outposts, constructed after former prime minister Ariel Sharon took office in March 2001. A government source told the Jerusalem Post that negotiations with the settlers regarding the fate of the outposts were ongoing on condition that the settlers allow for the peaceful evacuation of the 24 outposts. According to the source, the government is hoping to secure an agreement with the settlers by which the fate of the remaining 81 outposts would be determined as part of the realignment plan. Binyamin Regional Council head Pinchas Wallerstein said that settler leaders had no interest in reaching a compromise on the issue of the outposts. Last Wednesday, the Civil Administration renewed and issued demolition orders for 18 homes at the Maon Farm outpost so that the orders handed down last year would not expire. The Civil Administration spokesman said that his office did not have the power to demolish the outpost and could only issue orders that would allow its destruction by the IDF. Settler leaders are holding talks with the government to prevent destruction of the Maon Farm outpost and to establish a line of communication between the two parties, said Wallerstein. "Evacuating an outpost is the same thing as evacuating a settlement," he said. Former foreign minister Silvan Shalom said in the same broadcast that neither the Jordanians, Egyptians nor the Palestinians accept the convergence plan. Shalom also noted that if Israel withdraws from the West Bank and Hamas fills the resulting power vacuum, it will send the message that terror pays.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN