For Safed resident, Hizbullah rings twice [pg.7]

July 19, 2006 22:11
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Yaacov Abutbul is no stranger to battle. As a 19-year-old soldier during the Yom Kippur war, he had his Centurion tank blown out from under him, lost his commanding officer and suffered shrapnel wounds. But that experience, he says, was nowhere near as frightening to him as the barrage of Katyusha rockets that have rained down in the past week on his hometown of Safed, narrowly missing him twice and sending him to the operating suites of the city's Rebecca Sieff Hospital. "The war now isn't what it was then," he told The Jerusalem Post from his hospital bed Tuesday night. "Back then you knew where the enemy was coming from. Here it comes from right under your feet." On Friday, Abutbul, 52 , a slight and soft-spoken man who works as a chef's assistant in the hospital, paid a lunchtime visit to his parents, with whom he lives. As he was leaving, a Katyusha exploded just meters from where he was standing, putting shrapnel in his leg and back and sending him flying from the pavement. He lost consciousness and woke up in the hospital, where he learned he had undergone a three-hour operation. Three days later, Abutbul came in for another rude surprise. On Monday night another Katyusha landed just five meters short and three meters wide of the hospital's pediatric wing. The shock waves blew out a quarter of the hospital's windows and once again sent Abutbul flying from his bed. Today Abutbul is on his feet, more or less, walking slowly and painfully on crutches. He says he has lost his appetite and has trouble sleeping. He is considering joining one of his three children in Tel Aviv when he is released from the hospital, but does not want to abandon his parents. So far, more than half of Safed residents have left the city, according to a hospital representative.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town