Hamas use of children was 'monstrous'

Gaza Division commander: Civilians were surprised to realize terror group booby-trapped their houses.

By
January 22, 2009 15:40
1 minute read.
Hamas use of children was 'monstrous'

eyal eizenberg 248 88. (photo credit: Yaakov Katz)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Hamas made "monstrous" and "inhumane" use of innocent children when it booby-trapped homes and schools inside the Gaza Strip, OC Gaza Division Brig.-Gen. Eyal Eisenberg said Thursday. Palestinian families in Gaza, Eisenberg said, were often surprised to discover after Operation Cast Lead ended that that without their knowledge, Hamas had booby-trapped their homes and placed explosives beneath them. "Troops encountered a difficult reality, entering homes and finding suicide bombers hiding in them and walking down streets and finding roadside bombs hidden inside television satellite dishes," he said. Eisenberg, who was commander of the ground offensive in Gaza, told reporters he was convinced that Hamas was dealt a heavy blow and that Israel had restored its deterrence. "Hamas has been deterred and understands that the IDF only utilized a small portion of its force," he said. Since the cease-fire went into effect on Sunday, he said, Hamas had been working to reestablish its regime inside Gaza in an effort to show that it was still in control. Hamas had ordered policemen to deploy on the streets to give an appearance that it was back in charge, he said. Eisenberg defended the IDF's use of force throughout the operation, which has come under international criticism as being disproportionate. "The destruction in Gaza was proportional to the explosives and resistance presented by Hamas," he said. "Hamas chose the battlefield. Not us... In places where there wasn't resistance we did our best not to hurt or cause damage, but in places where there was resistance we used force." While Palestinians reported that some 1,300 were killed during the operation, there have been reports that fewer than half that number were actually killed. Eisenberg said that more than half were Hamas operatives. "Most of the dead are adult Hamas operatives with blood on their hands," he said. Asked about abducted soldier Gilad Schalit, Eisenberg said his release was not one of the expressed objectives of the campaign, but that he was convinced that "the operation's achievement will assist in bringing him home safely."

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN