Harpaz admits to Galant paper forgery

Officer maintains he acted alone and of his own accord.

August 27, 2010 10:35
1 minute read.
Ashkenazi and Galant

Ashkenazi galant duo 311. (photo credit: AP/Ariel Jerozolimski [file])


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Lt.-Col. (res.) Boaz Harpaz has admitted to police that he forged the "Galant document according to media reports Friday morning.

Harpaz remains in police custody until Sunday, while investigators examine his role in the controversy surrounding an attempt to derail the likely appointment of Maj. Gen. Yoav Galant to the become the next IDF chief of staff after Gabi Ashkenazi.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Harpaz has maintained that he committed the forgery of his own accord, without receiving instructions from anyone else connected to the affair.

His remand was extended for five days by the Petah Tikva Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.

Police had originally requested the remand be extended by 10 days, but negotiations with Harpaz’s defense lawyers led to an agreement on a five-day custody period.

In addition to forging the document, Harpaz is suspected by police of attempting to illegally influence the testimony of a number of witnesses questioned in recent weeks over the affair, the police representative told the court.

A protocol of the closed-door session was issued by the court. Judge Shiri Rafaeli ruled that despite the agreement reached between police and Harpaz’s lawyers, police must release the suspect before his five-day custody period ends if the National Serious and International Crimes Unit, which is leading the investigation, find that his continued incarceration is not necessary for the investigation.

Related Content

The International Criminal Court in The Hague
August 18, 2018
What does IDF closing Black Friday war crimes probe mean for ICC?