Israeli official meets New Zealand FM

Visit marks end of diplomatic freeze begun over 2004 spy scandal.

May 31, 2006 13:21
1 minute read.
ron prosor 298.88

ron prosor 298.88. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Director-General of the Foreign Ministry Ron Prosor held talks on Wednesday with New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters in Wellington. The meeting marked the end of a diplomatic freeze begun in 2004 over a spy scandal. "New Zealand appreciates the very difficult challenges that face Israel and the Middle East region in seeking to establish a durable peace," said Peters. "Our shared democratic traditions provide a good basis for a productive dialogue, and Mr. Prosor's visit was an opportunity to carry forward relations between our two countries." In March 2004, two Mossad agents were caught trying to fraudulently obtain New Zealand passports. They were sentenced to a NZ$50,000 fine (to be paid to charity) and a relatively light six months in prison. After the sentencing, a number of steps were taken to freeze diplomatic relations including a suspension of high-level visits, a requirement that Israelis visiting the country in an official capacity apply for visas, and a delay in approving the appointment of a new ambassador to Israel. "The New Zealand government views the act carried out by the Israeli intelligence agents as not only utterly unacceptable but also a breach of New Zealand sovereignty and international law," said Prime Minister Helen Clark at the time. In June 2005, Israel apologized for the incident, thus beginning the process of improving relations with the New Zealand government. The Israeli embassy in Wellington was reopened in October of that year. Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev refused to comment on the meeting.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town