taleb a sanaa 224.88.
(photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski )
United Arab List MK Taleb a-Sanaa on Tuesday called on the international community to boycott Israel, after a large group of yeshiva students moved into a Hebron home formerly owned by a Palestinian who claimed not to have sold them the house.
"The Israeli government is self-righteous and is not evacuating illegal settlers, thereby trampling international agreements and rights," A-Sanaa said. "The international community should positively consider boycotting Israel, which is endangering the stability of the region."
A-Sanaa blamed Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and his government for the settlers' occupation of the house, which he referred to as "the lawbreaking settlers running wild in the city."
'Hebron homeowner just fears revenge'
Iraq steps up anti-Israel boycott
Defense Minister Amir Peretz, meanwhile, took a more moderate tack and said that he was not satisfied with the way the question of Hebron settlers occupying a building near Kiryat Arba had been handled. A source in the ministry said that Peretz would not act without examining the legal options.
MK Ophir Paz-Pines (Labor) said that Peretz should take immediate steps to move the settlers out of the building.
"It's time [Peretz] began to act, rather than making empty statements," Pines said.
Meretz chairman Yossi Beilin, in a letter to Peretz, echoed Pines's call to evacuate the settlers.
The Jewish community of Hebron celebrated Monday evening after 200-300 students moved into the house in a Palestinian neighborhood on the road between Kiryat Arba and the Machpela Cave.
According to Hebron Jewish community spokesman David Wilder, representatives of the community purchased the building through an office in Jordan for the sum of $700,000.
Rebecca Anna Stoil contributed to this report.