Mofaz reaches truce on Rafah tiff with Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee

By
February 9, 2006 00:53

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

On a day full of complaints over Israel's security forces, Minister of Defense Shaul Mofaz lashed back at the Knesset's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee for "mixing politics and security." The committee had accused Mofaz of misleading it over the agreement reached between Israeli, Palestinian and Egyptian officials regarding the Rafah Crossing. "I never misled the committee," Mofaz was quoted as saying during the meeting. "I respect this committee, but they used their positions as members of this committee inappropriately. They made the issue political." The committee members openly apologized to Mofaz after he produced a signed promise to provide the committee with copies of the Rafah agreement within 24 hours. In previous months, committee chairman Yuval Steinitz (Likud) had said that Mofaz's failure to provide information regarding the agreement was the "most serious case of deception there has ever been in the Knesset." For nearly three months, the committee has asked for a copy of the agreement that had been negotiated through US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. The committee was repeatedly told that it could not view the text of the agreement because it was "top secret," said Steinitz.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN