On backdrop of protests, PA says no progress in talks

Palestinian official once again threatens to suspend PA participation in talks if Israel insists on resuming settlement construction.

By
September 16, 2010 05:02
2 minute read.
Talks begin in Jerusalem

Abbas Clinton Netanyahu meeting. (photo credit: GPO)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

The talks with Israel still face “major obstacles,” especially because of Israel’s refusal to commit to a comprehensive freeze of settlement construction in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, a Palestinian official in Ramallah said on Wednesday.

“The talks are very difficult,” the official told reporters. “So far we can’t talk about any progress.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Second round of peace talks wraps up in Sharm e-Sheikh
Erekat or Sha’ath – who will the chief PA negotiator be?

Analysis: The PA's mixed messages about peace talks

The official threatened once again that the Palestinians would suspend their participation in the US-sponsored direct talks if Israel insisted on resuming construction in the settlements and parts of Jerusalem.

His remarks came as Palestinians continued to protest against the PA’s decision to enter direct talks with Israel unconditionally.

Dozens of people demonstrated in Nablus, calling on the PA leadership to withdraw from the talks. The protest was organized by various Palestinian political factions in the West Bank.

Saeb Erekat, head of the PA delegation to the peace talks, reiterated the Palestinians’ rejection of a partial freeze of settlement construction.



He said that the PA continues to insist that the current moratorium on construction, which expires later this month, be renewed and include east Jerusalem.



“We are not setting conditions,” Erekat stressed. “When we say that we want a halt of settlement construction, including natural growth, we are talking about an Israeli obligation that needs to be fulfilled.”

If Israel “chose to continue with any form of settlement construction, the entire peace process would be destroyed,” he warned.

Erekat also accused Israel of carrying out “provocations” by launching military strikes on the Gaza Strip and arresting Palestinians in the past few days.

“Israel must refrain from arbitrary and aggressive measures against the Palestinians,” Erekat said. “This is will boost the prospects of peace.”

He added that the Palestinians were now demanding that the issue of borders be the first topic on the negotiating table. “We want a state with clear borders,” he said. “We are committed to the 1967 borders.”


Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN