Perinian hearing delayed six weeks

December 30, 2005 00:38
2 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Tel Aviv District Court agreed on Thursday to postpone for six more weeks the hearing in which Sharon and Oded Perinan are due to respond to the state's charges against them. The brothers' lawyer, David Yiftah, argued in court on Thursday that he needed to obtain all of the information currently coming out of an investigative committee, headed by retired Jerusalem District Court Judge Vardi Zeiler, before answering the indictment. The Perinan brothers, suspected crime bosses in the South of the country, were indicted in October for the 1999 murder of Pinhas Buhbout, a known underworld figure. The indictment claims that the Perinans allegedly hired Tzahi Ben-Or, a Jerusalem policeman, to shoot Buhbout as he lay in a hospital bed recovering from a previous attempt on his life. Interior Security Minister Gideon Ezra and Justice Minister Tzipi Livni established the Zeiler Committee at the beginning of December to examine the alleged mishandling of the affair by the police and the state prosecution. Police captured Tzahi Ben-Or, a former policeman and the alleged killer of Buhbout, during an armed robbery attempt. While in custody, Ben-Or gave the police information on the killing. However, the police and the state prosecution could not reach a deal on the terms of a plea bargain agreement for Ben-Or and, fearing for his life, he fled to Mexico, where he was eventually killed. The committee has also been asked to investigate why the police investigation of the killing gathered dust for six years and whether the state prosecution had failed to properly handle the plea bargain negotiations. Yiftah told the court on Thursday that "there is no doubt the information coming out of the investigative committee affects this case, including the serious allegation that police officers were personally involved in the case and that one of the police officers had helped Ben-Or get out of the country." Yiftah said his clients were also waiting for the Supreme Court ruling in the state's appeal against a lower court order confining the brothers to their homes until the end of court proceedings. The state wants to keep them in jail.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town