Policeman begins 30-month sentence

Shahar Mizrahi: "I am entering the prison with my head held high."

August 8, 2010 11:39
1 minute read.
DETECTIVE SHAHAR MIZRAHI was stunned when his sentence for shooting dead car thief Mahmud Gnayem was

shahar mizrahi 311. (photo credit: Channel 10)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Shahar Mizrahi, the policeman convicted of manslaughter for shooting a car thief, arrived at Gilboa prison Sunday to start serving a thirty month sentence.

Mizrahi said "I am entering the prison with my head held high."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Editorial: Outlaws over lawmen
Police, Court in war of words
Police stunned at Supreme Court ruling

Four years ago Mizrahi opened fire on Mahmud Gnayem from Baka al-Gharbiya, after Gnayem failed to stop the stolen car he was driving.

The policeman was accompanied by colleagues and friends including Northern District Police head Cmdr. Shimon Koren.

The Supreme Court rejected Mizrahi's earlier sentence appeal and eventually doubled it from fifteen months to thirty.

Mizrahi said that "like everything else I have done in my life I will also do this with excellence."

Mizrahi has argued all along that he acted in self-defense, and appealed his 15 months prison sentence to the Supreme Court. He was stunned when the sentence was doubled.

"I receive a lot of support and I believe that the president will make the right decision," Mizrahi said regarding a pending decision to be made by President Shimon Peres whether to pardon him or not.

Widespread outrage in police ranks has continued to be expressed regarding the conviction and doubling of the sentence.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town