A group of reservists protesting the government's handling of the war in Lebanon on Monday urged Attorney-General Menahem Mazuz to disqualify the newly appointed spokesman of the government-approved war probe since he served as a military media advisor during the war.
The reservists' demand to remove Motti Sharf from his post was the latest sign of public disapproval with the commission of inquiry, and came just days after the attorney-general disqualified the commission's secretary for having served as a Kadima party activist during this year's general election.
"These appointments are simply indicative of the unclear and improper way this commission is functioning," said reservist protest leader Lior Dinmez.
The commission said in response that the spokesman was appointed to his posting after an organized check based on civil service rules.
The probe, which was authorized by the government last month, fell short of demands for the establishment of a sweeping state commission that would have the power to dismiss top government and military officials.
The five-member commission, known as the Winograd Commission after retired judge Eliahu Winograd who heads the probe, has been facing mounting public criticism since it was formed last month.
Last week, following an appeal by an anti-corruption group, the High Court of Justice ordered the government to explain by Wednesday why they did not appoint a state commission of inquiry.
The two-month-old reservists' protest continues Thursday evening with a planned demonstration outside the prime minister's residence in central Jerusalem.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>