Shahar Mizrahi begins 30-month sentence

Policeman convicted on manslaughter: 'Holding his head high.'

August 8, 2010 17:52
2 minute read.
DETECTIVE SHAHAR MIZRAHI was stunned when his sentence for shooting dead car thief Mahmud Gnayem was

shahar mizrahi 311. (photo credit: Channel 10)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Dozens of supporters escorted a former Israel Police detective to Gilboa Prison on Sunday to begin serving a 30-month sentence for manslaughter stemming from the 2006 shooting death of a suspected car thief.

Outside the prison, Shahar Mizrahi said he was “holding his head high” and receiving a “great deal of support from the public.”

Editorial: Outlaws over lawmen
Police, Court in war of words
Police stunned at Supreme Court ruling

His supporters included friends, relatives and the head of the northern police district, Shimon Koren. Last Friday, he submitted his resignation from the force.

At the time of the shooting, Mizrahi was serving as a detective at the Hadera police station. He has consistently maintained that he shot and killed Mahmud Gnaim after the suspect tried to run him over, but in 2009, the Petah Tikva District Court convicted him of manslaughter and sentenced him to 15 months in prison. Last month, following an appeal by the officer, the Supreme Court doubled Mizrahi’s prison term, arguing that the value of human life required a more serious sentence.

The ruling sparked outrage across the law enforcement community, and Mizrahi quickly became a symbol of what many police said was a lack of support for police by the legal system and the general public.

In keeping with Prisons Service regulations, Mizrahi will not be jailed with criminals he may have played a part in arresting, but will not be kept in isolation. He will live in a cell with three others in a section of the prison for inmates on work details, which consist mainly of janitorial labors.

Mizrahi will be eligible to request a shortened sentence 20 months from now. His supporters have called on President Shimon Peres to issue a pardon, but Peres has not responded.

On Saturday, Public Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch spoke with Mizrahi and offered the former officer his support. Aharonovitch’s bureau later issued a statement saying that “in a democratic state, sometimes it is our obligation to protest. That said, we must also honor the rulings of the courts, and we will continue to do so.”

The statement added that it was “important to remember that Shahar Mizrahi had been sent on that mission by the Israel Police and the Israeli public.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town