The 15 minutes that cost Egged NIS 20,000

Irate traffic court judge says 'public's time is not to be trifled with'

November 27, 2006 00:18
2 minute read.
banging court gavel 88

court gavel 88. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Jerusalem Traffic Court Judge Avraham Tannenbaum appears to take a grave view of what most long-suffering public transportation consumers regard fatalistically: overdue and behind-schedule buses. "The public's time is not to be trifled with," he wrote Sunday in a ruling in which he rejected a plea bargain agreement between the state and the Egged bus cooperative as being too lenient. The case was based on an incident in 2004 involving an Egged No. 480 bus from Jerusalem to the 2000 Terminal at the Central Train Station in Tel Aviv. Buses were scheduled to leave Jerusalem every 15 minutes between 3 and 4 p.m. After the 3 p.m. bus left, the next bus did not arrive in the bay until 3:20 and did not leave until 3:30. A passenger, Naftali Or-Chen, complained to the Transportation Ministry about the delay. It took two years for the case to come to court and by the time it did, the prosecution and defense had agreed on the sentence. They settled on a fine of NIS 6,000 to Egged and compensation of NIS 150 to the original plaintiff. They also agreed to drop Egged's Jerusalem regional director, Yosef Tzazkes, from the suit. But Tannenbaum was having none of this. He said the state had given Egged a monopoly on bus travel along certain routes. In return, Egged had promised in an agreement to live up to certain conditions, including its timetable. The bus served the weaker elements of the population who could not afford a private car, and it was the court's duty to protect them. Furthermore, if Egged provided reliable service, more people would use its services and there would be fewer cars on the roads, less congestion and less pollution. Thus it was important to make certain Egged did its job properly in return for the benefits it received. The punishment agreed upon by the company and the state did not guarantee this, Tannenbaum said. "We must remember that Egged is a huge company with an enormous budget," he wrote . "The [agreed-upon] fine is completely irrelevant. It will be swallowed up in the company's routine expenses as it if were nothing. In these circumstances, the company will not have any interest in improving its service." Tannenbaum ordered Egged to pay a NIS 20,000 fine within 45 days, and to sign a NIS 50,000 guarantee that it would not repeat any of the offenses it committed over the next two years. If it failed to live up to the terms, it would not only forfeit the guarantee, but the district manager, Tzazkes, would go to jail for 30 days. Egged said it would appeal the decision.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town