Hungary neo-Nazis: Cash for info on Jews at protest

Anti-Semitic website offers 100,000 Forints ($450) for data on participants in protest against suspected war criminal Csatary.

By GIL STERN STERN SHEFLER
July 22, 2012 18:07
2 minute read.
Suspected Nazi war criminal Csatary

Suspected war criminal Csatary 370. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A neo-Nazi website in Hungary is offering money for information about protesters that called for the arrest of a suspected war criminal, it emerged on Sunday.

Kuruc.info promised 100,000 forints ($450) to anyone who provides data on the demonstrators who called for the trial of suspected Nazi collaborator Laszlo Csatary outside his house near Budapest last week.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“We will distribute 100,000 forints among those who send us the most useful information about the [participants],” text appearing on the website read.

“75 thousands forints have been offered by our Comrade Bela Varga who lives in America. Good hunting!” The website – which is full of anti-Semitic imagery, including a Nazi hammer crushing a Star of David – accused gatherers at the rally organized by a Jewish student group of conspiring to “kill Hungarians.”

“They complain about various crimes when they are responsible for corrupting our country into communism and later into capitalism,” the text read. “They are responsible for the death of many thousands of Hungarians, for the emigration of hundreds of thousands, for the killing of six million fetuses, for the selling of the country not to speak about the genocide in Palestine and the other crimes against humanity.”

Last Thursday, Hungarian authorities indicted Csatary for involvement in the sending of 15,700 Jews to Auschwitz when he was police chief of Kosice.

The 97-year-old’s whereabouts had been unknown since he fled Canada in the 1990s after his wartime history had been discovered.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Nazi hunter Efraim Zuroff, of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, traced him to Hungary late last year and asked prosecutors to act. Last week, Csatary was formally charged, making headlines around the world and apparently arousing the ire of sympathizers.

On Sunday, Zuroff said the offer by Kuruc.info was an attempt to intimidate protesters.

“Apparently, the Hungarian right-wing extremists cannot bear the exposure of the criminals who committed crimes against humanity against fellow Hungarian citizens during World War II who were inspired to do so by the same anti-Semitic fascist ideology that they are currently trying to disseminate in Hungary,” he said.

He said several protesters including Andrea Gergely, one of the organizers of the demonstration against Csatary, had received threats.

An employee at the Hungarian Embassy in Israel on Sunday said it could not comment on the website as it was closed.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

By JPOST.COM STAFF